young artists - any art form - one mic

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Roxanne Kotze - photographer


I come from a very artistically-inclined family: painters, writers, singers and photographers. From a very young age photography has fascinated me. The darkroom process, the endless creative things you can do with digital cameras, and that feeling of satisfaction when the picture works out.

My family has moved around quite a bit. I have recently come back from New Zealand after having spent five years there. I have found travel is one of the biggest ways to be inspired in my photography, because since I have to be open-minded wherever I go, my ideas for photography follow suit. I try to give people a different view of things or to capture those little moments that can fly by so quickly.

The things that inspire me most to photograph are people, wildlife, landscapes and I enjoy macro work too. With people, the way I see it is that you can never capture the same moment twice. People are forever changing and it is important to me to make sure to document the changes. Nothing stays the same forever. I am always looking for ways to improve my photos.

My family has been a huge support to me. From day one they have encouraged me to do the very best I can and to challenge myself. They have believed in me and continued to inspire me every step of the way.

My mother told me something when I was younger. She told me of a story she covered in a newspaper about a woman who's nineteen year-old son had died in a car accident and the only picture she owned of him was his I.D photo. This had a great impact on me and my portraiture photography and I have never forgotten that.

I have also been bitten by the writing bug. I write poetry and short stories. Photography, however is my main outlet of creativity.

"I wish that all of nature's magnificence, the emotion of the land, the living energy of place could be photographed." - Annie Leibovitz

No comments:

Post a Comment