young artists - any art form - one mic

Monday, September 6, 2010

Georgia Andrews - photographer

This month's featured photographer is Georgia Andrews, who works as a freelance photographer and designer. She has been looking at life through a viewfinder since 2004. We asked her a few questions, to get to know her a little better...

ES: Who are your artistic influences?

G: I don't even know if I consider myself an artist! But as far as influence goes...with regards to my photos...Annie Lebowitz is a major inspiration. And Russel Wasserfal, he is a Cape Town based food photographer. I interviewed to be his assistant once but we came to an understanding that it would not benefit either of us if I were to work for him. But he gave me invaluable advice. Best interview I ever had. Plus he is an amazing photographer.

ES: What have you learnt from past artists in your field?

G: That it's hard but you have to keep going.

ES: Where do you see your photography going?

G: I would like to use my skills in some sort of developmental fashion...whether it be practically teaching people, especially young kids, photographic skills or actually using my work to raise funds and awareness on important issues.

ES: Why do you do what you do?

G: Because I love it. It makes me feel happy. I love to learn new things all the time and photography lends itself to that. Also, it teaches me to give myself some more credit because there is always someone better than you and that can make you feel a bit insecure but then I take photos and I realise I know more than I give myself credit for.

ES: If there's one boundary or misconception you could knock down about photography, what would it be?

G: That you just take a camera and click and you get a great photo. Granted it happens sometimes but not always. It takes a lot to get a good shot but at the same time sometimes it doesn't. I am contradicting myself now but you know what I mean.


Visit Georgia's website to see more of her work.


No comments:

Post a Comment