young artists - any art form - one mic

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Q&A with Janis

ES: Who are your artistic influences?

J: My greatest artistic influences are my teachers from National School of the Arts where I used to attend, Ruby (a close family friend/ neighbour) Vincent Van Gogh, Frida Kahlo, George Pemba and many more. I'm also inspired by my friends and the impressionist movement.


ES: What have you learnt from past artists in your field?

J: Not only have I have learned to re-examine how I view the world and express that through my art but I've learnt everything I know really from past artist as any artist will tell you, you can't learn without observing others and constantly working at improving, discovering and exploring new aspects of your art.


ES: How do you see your career as an artist developing?

J: Well I've recently applied to Michaelis, I hope to study fine art there and one day I wish to become an art teacher or an art therapist for disabled children, I also see myself as a published artist creating inspirational and thought provoking pieces which evoke positive changes in society.


ES: What motivates you to keep working on your art, when things become difficult and challenging?

J: Well usually it's my visual art teacher whipping me into action, but mostly it's the thought of the final product or a sudden idea or inspiration after much thought and evaluation that makes it impossible not to try out or explore. Also I have really special and supportive friends, family and neighbours who keep me excited and motivated.


ES: If there's one boundary or misconception you could knock down about being a visual artist, what would it be?

J: A misconception which has always followed me is that artists are lazy and disorganised and that they just mess around with paint all day but in actual fact being a good and relevant artist takes a lot of hard work, observation and thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment