young artists - any art form - one mic

Monday, September 20, 2010

Lukhanyo Calata - filmmaker

My name is Lukhanyo Calata. I've been working as a journalist for roughly six years now and three of those I spent working as a television reporter. It’s been a dream of mine to tell stories and to make films about our history as South Africans: who we are, where we come from and where we are going. My interest in journalism and film comes from a young age as it stems from my need to find and document the truth behind the murder of my father, Fort Calata, and three of his friends and comrades: Matthew Goniwe, Sparrow Mkhonto and Sicelo Mhlauli, in June 1985. The four men became known as the Cradock 4.

That event has shaped my life and heavily influences my work and how I perceive our past, present and future. South Africa’s liberation from Apartheid was bought at a heavy price - so many people sacrificed and gave up their lives so we can enjoy the relative freedoms we have today. Through my films I hope to highlight the often forgotten role/s of these individuals and communities in our struggle and to remind people of the sacrifices made not only by OR Tambo, Nelson Mandela, Fort Calata or even Matthew Goniwe. But that out struggle was a collective effort and that we must make sure that our present and our future must continue to be a collective effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment