young artists - any art form - one mic

Monday, November 22, 2010

Mary-Anne Solomons - theatre performer


My name is Mary-Anne Solomons and I was born on 31 March 1989 in Kalksteenfontein, Netreg on the Cape Flats. I grew up with my mom and have a younger sister who is currently writing her matric exam at Cedar High School. I started my schooling career in 1996 at Montana Primary.

As a little girl I loved to sing, especially in church. I remember it was the times of Sisqo and the Spice Girls, I would gather my friends and teach them some songs and dance movement. There was one lady who told my aunt that she should enter me in competitions.

During 1997 I had to drop out of Grade 2 because my mother could not afford to keep me in school. Late 1998 me, my sister and mother moved to my aunt where I’m currently living in Mitchell’s Plain. In 1999 I went back to school where I started Grade 2. My primary school career ended at the age of 14. I enrolled at Cedar High School of the Arts, where I completed Grade 12 in 2008.

In 2007 is when my dream as a performer came true because I went on stage for the first time as a student at Cedar High School. I and a group of fellow drama students entered the WOW competition and we won. I received an award for Best Supporting actress. I also belonged to a Jazz Band and was part of the Rock Challenge (Dance, etc.)

During 2008 I went with “Kanna hy ko huistoe” a drama production to the National Aardklop Festival. I was also part of numerous other productions like “Kinkel in die kabel, The Invisibles, Boesman and Lena, Tietie Moetie Wietie and Mix Masala which was all directed by Peter Braaf, the drama teacher at Cedar High School. That was in the last year of my high school career.

In 2009 I enrolled at New Africa Theatre Academy in Athlone doing a National Certificate in Performing Arts, NQF Level 5. After graduating from New Africa Theatre Academy I became part of a learnership in 2010 and did two professional productions namely Robben Island Youth Speak directed by Thami Mbongo and 11:41 based on a short story and poetry by James Matthews directed by Clare Stopford and assisted by Mbulelo Grootboom.

No comments:

Post a Comment