young artists - any art form - one mic

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Maureen Dube - poet


I was born in Nelspruit (Mpumalanga) in 1985, on September 29, the second born of five children (three girls and two boys). My father is a plumber and never went to school so I guess that’s why he always wanted his kids to have what he never had and that’s why he worked so hard. My Mother was always a stay- at-home mom and she was the one that always whooped our behinds.

At high school I use to do arts but decided to study electrical engineering in tertiary at Springs college in JHB. In 2005 I moved to Cape Town to come live with my dad and basically that’s when my journey began. I worked to pay for my studies to continue in electrical engineering at Northlink College. I really started writing when my uncle passed away in 2007 (he had been shot after just moving to Cape Town for six months). That was a very hard time for my family, especially my mom, cause he was her baby brother, and when my grandmother found out she fell sick and died a few months later . I currently work as a project leader at an electrical company and I write every time my boss goes out of the office. So earlier this year I got an email from a lady I go to church with who gave me Malika Ndlovu’s contact about a podcasting job and the minute I spoke to her I just knew that my life had taken a 360ᵒ turn (even though I never got the podcasting job). I sent her one of my poems and she liked it and forwarded me info about open mic sessions around Cape Town , I shared my love at Verses and at the moment the collective I’m part of, Rock Soul-ID are performing every month at Cubana Claremont. I write from a very place in me that I can’t explain and I wonder how I survived this long without writing because I feel so alive when I put that pen on that paper

No comments:

Post a Comment