young artists - any art form - one mic

Monday, November 15, 2010

Q&A with Shukry

ES: Who are your artistic influences?
S: Mother nature, Gustave Dore, Dave Correia and Spike Milligan but most of my influence comes from the music I listen to, I try to resonate what I hear visually as the music I like is generally made up of many layers just like an animation

ES: What have you learnt from artists in your field, who have come before you?
S: What not to do

ES: What made you decide to work on the The Killing of the Imam?
S: It was a great platform for me to collaborate with the other creatives involved and I also liked the idea of doing something that the broader Muslim community could respond to as animation/motion graphics isn't something the Muslim community is well-versed in, and last but certainly not least the chance to help tell the story of such a prominent and key figure in the history of our country.

ES: What inspired the animation style of this film?
S: Nothing really, I just wanted to create the right mood to fit the story and illustration style.

ES: If there's one boundary or misconception you could knock down about being an animator, what would it be?

S: That it's tediously hard work: the audience sees the final product but are unaware of the process. And just like any sector of the creative industry it's a dog-eat-dog world, folk will screw their best friend over for next to nothing, it's an unfortunate reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment