young artists - any art form - one mic

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Q&A with Maureen

ES: Which poets and writers are you inspired by?
M: I’m inspired by people like who truly write from their heart like Maya Angelou, Malika Ndlovu, Gcina Mhlophe and my very favourite India Arie.

ES: What have you learnt from poets who have come before you?
M: I have learned that poetry is not big words and doesn’t need to be complicated to touch people. Simple words can make a difference in people’s lives and that it’s important to believe in yourself and what you do.

ES: What do you hope to achieve with your poetry?
M: I hope to share my thoughts, learn and better myself as a person because I find that the more I write the more I discover just how little I know. I have always been an “in your face” type of a person, I make friends within minutes of meeting people and itss so interesting how similar we people are no matter where we come from.

ES: What motivates you to keep working on your poetry, when things become difficult and challenging?
M: A friend once asked me why do you write and I answered: “to breathe”. So when I’m angry or I face a challenge, that’s the best time for me to write because that is my way of shouting and screaming

ES: If there’s one boundary or misconception you could knock down about poetry and being a poet, what would it be?
M: People think that poets are drug addicts or that we are all dirty, we walk barefoot and we use these humongous words, and I am not saying there is anything wrong with that but we are not all that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment